Art Hawkins Great Canadian Ultimate Game

Looking back: Each year, the True Sport Give-Back Challenge receives submissions packed full of inspiring stories of how communities have used sport to Give Back. 2012 was no exception and the winner was the “Art Hawkins Great Canadian Ultimate Game.” The game is an opportunity for ultimate players to share the spirit of ultimate and highlight the accessibility and inclusive nature of the sport with members of the public and two great charities.

Each year, the True Sport Give-Back Challenge receives submissions packed full of inspiring stories of how communities have used sport to Give Back.  The 2012 winner was the “Art Hawkins Great Canadian Ultimate Game.”

Looking back:
Possibly one of the most intricate True Sport Give-Back Challenge events to date, the 24-hour cross-Canada ultimate game raised more than $8,000, which was split between two great charities – the Boys and Girls Club of Canada and Ultimate Peace.

“We always have the white team play against the red team across Canada,” said Christiane Marceau, Executive Director of the Ottawa-Carleton Ultimate Association. “At the end of the game, the winning team gives 60 per cent of the proceeds to their charity while the losing team donates the remaining 40 per cent to their charity. That’s how our Giving Back process works with this game.”

Originally known as the Great Canadian Ultimate Game, the event was re-named in 2011 in memory of Art Hawkins, a man who dedicated much of his time to Giving Back to his community. “He was a volunteer and an event leader of ultimate in Vancouver,” said Marceau. “He helped develop a youth program and was an amazing man who did a lot for the sport of ultimate in British Columbia – that’s why we renamed the event after him.”

Marceau encourages everyone to participate in the True Sport Give-Back Challenge and to focus on the difference that good sport can make. “Just Go For It,” said Marceau. “The idea is to share your passion and make sure that every time you have the chance to Give Back and promote your sport, you do it. Don’t be scared of winning or losing. The point is not winning the challenge, the point is sharing what you’re doing with your community.

Just Go For It. It doesn’t have to be too complicated, just do it.

Our Story 2012:
In 2010 Ultimate Canada lost a player, leader and friend to cancer. Art Hawkins was a strong supporter of charities and worked with Ultimate Canada to create events such as the Great Canadian Ultimate Game – a 24-hour cross-Canada ultimate game that raises money for two charities. The Art Hawkins Great Canadian Ultimate Game is an opportunity for ultimate players to share the spirit of ultimate and highlight the accessibility and inclusive nature of the sport with members of the public and two great charities. Players competing in the Art Hawkins Great Canadian Ultimate Game work to raise funds for their team’s designated charity. The team with the highest score at the end of the day receives 60 percent of the donations for their charity, while the other team receives 40 percent of the donations towards theirs.

This year, 28 communities representing 10 provinces and one territory participated in the event. The game started in Yellowknife at 7p.m. (PST) on June 15. Every hour it moved to a new community that fielded two teams and the scores were carried forward from each game. From the west coast of Canada it travelled to Newfoundland and the Maritimes and then made its way back west – travelling through every major city on its way. The final point was scored in Victoria just before midnight (PST) on Saturday June 16.

See more Give-Back Challenge entries